Saying goodbye might just be one of the hardest things you can do. Even if you know you’re going to see the person in question again, goodbyes can get tearful and emotional.
You can take those tears and emotions and multiple them by a hundred when it comes to talking to your ex-boyfriend. Breakups are terrible and having to walk away from someone that you had real feelings for is never easy.
Sometimes, it’s easier to just fade from existence and ghost your ex rather than giving him a farewell. But what if you need the closure?
We’ve written thirty goodbye texts for your ex-boyfriend if you find yourself struggling to figure out what to say.
Before you read...
We've discovered a single text message that can pique any man's interests...
When to Text Him Good-Bye
It’s no secret that texting your ex usually isn’t a good idea. Generally, it just leads to further heartbreak and tears that you would have been better off not wasting.
That’s why, if you read about talking to exes online, most other articles will tell you that you should never do it…and most of the time, we’re inclined to agree. Most of the time.
We do think that there are times when you’ll be able to move on more easily if you’ve said your last word.
So, when should you text your ex goodbye? We say you should go for it if the breakup is recent (texting him goodbye out of the blue after years is just weird), if you’re preparing to end the relationship, or you absolutely need the closure to heal.
Avoid texting him goodbye at all if you don’t feel safe talking to him or if he was particularly toxic. He doesn’t deserve your words at this point. If you still feel as if you absolutely have to say something to him in those circumstances, we recommend writing him a letter that pours out your feelings…then burning it or flushing it down the toilet.
This will still give you a therapeutic feeling of closure without putting you in an uncomfortable situation.
Need more help composing your text to him? We suggest looking at this Text Chemistry program. It will give you tons of text templates to use if you find yourself short on words.
Further Reading: Why is My Ex-Boyfriend Always On My Mind?
Goodbye Texts for Your Ex-Boyfriend
We understand that there are different situations in which you’ll be saying goodbye to your ex-boyfriend, and therefore different outcomes you’ll be looking for.
Read Also: How to Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back Fast
That’s why we’ve divided this list of texts into two categories: texts to send to him when you want to talk to him again eventually, and texts to send when you want him out of your life permanently. We’ll also explain when each text template would work best.
Goodbye Texts for When You Want to Talk to Him Again
- “I’ve done some thinking, and I’ve realized that we need some time apart. I still care about you, but I need some space for awhile.”
Great For: When you have feelings for him but need time to breathe and think about your next course of action.
- “Hey, I know we’ve both tried our best in this relationship, but I don’t think it’s working for us. I think it would be better for us to go our separate ways for now.”
Great For: When you want to end the relationship on a more neutral note, leaving it open for future discussion.
- “I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I don’t feel this relationship is best for us right now. If it’s at all possible, I’d like us to step away from this and be friends down the road when we’re feeling more comfortable.”
Great For: When you want to break up, but also want to let him know you’re interested in being friends. Be sure to check out our guide on why your ex-boyfriend is asking your friends about you if you start to hear that he’s trying to get to you indirectly.
- “We’ve had a lot of great times together and I’m so grateful to have you in my life. As much as it hurts me, I believe it would be best for us to end our relationship. If you’re okay with it, I’d like us to be friends in the future.”
Great For: When you’re looking for a more expressive and remorseful way of breaking up and remaining friends.
- “Hey. I know we haven’t talked for awhile, but I’ve been wondering how you’re doing lately and I would like to talk to you about some things.”
Great For: When he’s been ghosting you and you want to get some closure before saying goodbye.
- “You really hurt me, and I need time to heal. Maybe when I’ve had that time, we can talk again, but goodbye for now.”
Great For: When he caused the breakup with his own harmful actions, but you’re open to discussion with him in the future.
- “There’s definitely more we can discuss, but I need breathing room. Give me some time to recover and maybe we’ll talk about this more in the future.”
Featured Article: How to Text a Guy (The Ultimate Guide)
Great For: When either you or him ended the relationship through harmful actions. Use this when there’s more you want to talk to him about, but you need to think first.
- “Thank you for all the happy memories we shared. Good luck and goodbye.”
Great For: When you want to break up in a way that’s short, sweet, and to the point. The neutral tone makes it easier to talk to him later.
- “It’s best for both you and me if we step back for some time. I’ll reach out to you again when and if I’m ready.”
Great For: When you need breathing room but want to speak to him again eventually.
- “This isn’t goodbye forever, but it IS goodbye for now. Take care.”
Great For: When you want to clearly get your point across that you need space. Use something like this when he isn’t understanding what you want and you need to be a little sharper.
- “I’m so sorry I have to say this, but this relationship isn’t for me. Maybe we can be friends eventually.”
Great For: When you’re looking for a softer way to end the relationship.
- “At this point in our time, our relationship just isn’t as healthy as it should be. Let’s take a break for now and re-evaluate things once we’ve had some time to think.”
Great For: When you’re not necessarily looking to break up permanently and just need time apart for a bit.
- “I don’t think I’m ready for a relationship right now. I need some time by myself to think about what I’m looking for. I’m sorry.”
Great For: When you’re just not happy in the relationship and it’s not anyone’s fault.
- “I know I’ve hurt you and that I’m hurting you again right now. I’d like space for now, then we talk things through more at a later time.”
Great For: When you know you’ve done something wrong and want to apologize.
- “I truly think it’s better for us if we split up. I want you to be happy.”
Great For: When you think you’re not the best match for him.
His TOTAL and UNWAVERING devotion is only a single text message away...
Goodbye Texts for When You Want Him Gone for Good
So what if your ex-boyfriend has been the one hurting you? What if he’s been immature, mean, or downright toxic to you?
Then chances are, you’re better off without him in your life, and these are the texts you can use to get that point across:
- “I know it’s not easy to hear, but I really don’t feel that we’re a good match. Goodbye, and I hope you’re able to find happiness with someone else.”
Great For: When you don’t want to talk to him again, but don’t want to get petty about it.
- “Look, we’re not healthy for each other. It’s best for us both if we have a clean break. Goodbye.
Great For: When you want to end the relationship but avoid fighting and name-calling.
- “I’m done with you. Please don’t contact me again.”
Great For: When he won’t stop trying to talk to you and you want to be clear with him without resorting to cruelty.
- “Talking to you causes me too much pain. I wish you all the best, but I’ll be blocking you after this for my own good.”
Great For: When he won’t get the hint after you’ve said goodbye once. You can also use this right away when you want to explain to him why you’re disappearing before saying goodbye.
- “We’re finished. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.”
Great For: When you want to get a little sassy with your goodbye text. This adds a kick to your words without getting unnecessarily toxic.
- “I just don’t think this relationship is working. As much as I appreciate everything you’ve done for me, it’s better if we stop talking to each other.”
Great For: When the relationship wasn’t necessarily bad, but you don’t want to talk to him anymore.
- “Nothing lasts forever, and I think we’ve reached the end of our relationship. Thank you for all the memories, but it’s better if we have a clean break.”
Great For: When your breakup is close to neutral and you don’t want him your life afterward.
- “We need to end things. This relationship isn’t working for me. Goodbye.”
Great For: When you need to be clear and pointed with him about your breakup.
- “I don’t want to hurt you, but I can’t stay in this unhealthy relationship. Best of luck to you, and goodbye.”
Great For: When you want to say goodbye without hurting his feelings any more than necessary.
- “I’ve had enough of the toxicity and fighting. Goodbye. Have a good life.”
Great For: When you had a bad breakup, and just want everything to be done.
- “I think we’ve reached a dead end in our relationship, and there’s no going back. I’m glad I met you, but it’s better if we go on our own paths now.”
Great For: When things aren’t working, and you want to let go of him.
- “If there’s one thing I can say about our relationship, it’s that you’ve made me stronger. Now I’m strong enough to walk away from you.”
Great For: When you’re done with his crap and you’ve learned your lesson.
- “We’ve said everything there is to say. I’m done talking to you.”
Great For: When he won’t stop pestering you after you say goodbye.
- “It’s hard to say goodbye to someone who wasn’t really ever there, but goodbye, anyway. Hope you can find what you’re looking for with someone else.”
Great For: When he was never really present in your relationship.
Great For: When you want to keep things short and simple. Sometimes, you don’t need anything more than a basic goodbye.
You May Also Like: What to Text Your Ex-Boyfriend to Make Him Want You Back
Stop the Goodbye Before it Can Happen
Breakups are sometimes inevitable, but at other times they just seem that way. There are things you can do in the relationship to prevent that goodbye from ever occurring.
If you’re curious about what you could do to keep any guy completely loyal to you and only you, you’ll need to learn how his mind works. Fortunately, the Devotion System course by relationship coach Amy North dives deep into the male mind’s inner workings.
With the knowledge you’ll gain from the course, you’ll be able to hook the guy of your dreams in and make him want to say.
You can also check out our guide to how to get your ex-boyfriend back using male psychology.
Don't Leave Without This
With just this one simple message, you can SNAG man's heart...