People lead busy lives quite often during the day.
Whether it’s work or school or any other number of activities, the guy you’re interested in might not have as much time to text you during the day. That’s why texting him right before bed is a smart move.
You’ll get on his mind at the perfect time. Play your cards right, and you’ll have him tossing and turning all night when he can’t get you out of his head.
But just what do you text a guy before bed? We’ll answer that for you and provide you with a ton of examples you can feel free to use.
However, like with any other time you text him, it’s a good idea to set some rules for yourself.
The Good Night Text: Basic Rules
Consider where you are in the relationship.
“What are we?” is a question that has been joked about in memes and social media for years. The thing is, it’s a perfectly valid question to ask – except, in this case, you should be asking yourself.
Examine your relationship as honestly as possible. Think about what stage you’re at.
Are you looking for something casual or you’ve just started talking to him? Stay away from the overly romantic texts, then, or you could kill the mood.
At a stage where you’re texting each other constantly and you can’t stop thinking about each other? Then go ahead and fire off that sappy message gushing about him.
And what if you’re somewhere in between casual and infatuated? We recommend aiming for a middle ground that’s playful and light, but that doesn’t cross into a territory that’s too emotional and intense.
Determine where you want the relationship to go.
Where you are now isn’t necessarily where you want to be in the future.
You could have just started talking to him, but know that you’re interesting in a more serious commitment from him. In that case, consider using a flirty tone to show that you’re clearly into him, and maybe steer away from getting sexy too often or he’ll think that’s all you want.
If you’re aiming for something that’s more casual, then go right ahead with the sensual talk. It will help guarantee he gets your intent loud and clear.
What to Text a Guy Before Bed
Use these options when you’re aiming for cute and sweet.
You’ll use this technique when you’re looking for a romantic relationship with him.
Messages like these, which are loaded with enough sweetness to give you a toothache, are bound to make him smile. As with all sweets, though, use this type of text in moderation.
Sending him too many things like this too early could cause a sweet connection to go sour real fast. Unless you’re certain he’s all in, too, you’ll want to restrain yourself a bit.
- “Good night! I can’t wait to talk to you tomorrow.”
- “I wish I were cuddling up with you right now.”
- “If I’m lucky, maybe I’ll see you in my dreams tonight.”
- “Send me a picture of you – I want your handsome face to be what I see before I go to sleep.”
- “I can’t wait for the day I get to fall asleep and wake up next to you.”
- “Your chest would be the best pillow I could ask for.”
- “I can’t believe how much I’m missing you right now.”
- “Your arms would be better than any blanket I have.”
Read Also: This is What to Text a Guy After Making Out
Choose these texts when you want to be cool and casual.
If you just started talking to him, you probably aren’t 100% sure which direction to take late-night conversation in – and that’s okay!
Our suggestion is to keep things simple. Don’t feel as if you need to send him a complicated good night text right now.
Stick to the basics. You’ll avoid the infamous relationship-killer, clinginess, that way while still showing him you’re thinking of him.
- “Good night. I’ll talk to you again soon.”
- “Night! I hope you had a great day.”
- “Talk to you tomorrow?”
- “Sleep tight.”
- “Good night. I hope you sleep well.”
Try out some of these when you want to be flirty and playful.
What should you say if you’ve been texting back and forth for a little while, and you don’t want to come off as too casual but you also don’t want to be too romantic yet?
That’s a tricky stage to be at. You should try for a tone that’s mildly flirty, but doesn’t wander into overtly sexual or cheesy.
Read Next: Full Guide on What to Text a Guy
We recommend teasing him or joking with him a little here. By keeping the conversation light and fun, you’ll intrigue him even more.
- “Is now a good time to send you a cheesy pickup line?”
- Go ahead and just send him a cheesy pickup line with good night wishes.
- “Insert cutesy good night message here.”
- “Good night! I’ll see if I can pencil in some time on my busy schedule to talk to you tomorrow. ;)”
- “Hey, handsome! I hope you get enough beauty sleep tonight for that gorgeous face.”
- “Quick question: is texting you this late considered a midnight snack?”
Recommended Article: What to Text a Guy after Sleeping with Him (How to Keep Him Interested)
Tempt him with these options when you’re going for sexy and sensual.
Now, when you’re in a casual arrangement, or you’re at a stage in your relationship where you’re ready to take things to the next level of physical….
You’ll want to use texts that raise the heat.
Messages like these are also fantastic for long-distance couples. If you can’t see him in person, you can still make him crave you and feel like he’s right beside you.
Use some description here. Trail off sentences to add a naturally sensual, suggestive tone to them that will leave him wondering and get his heart pumping.
FINALLY REVEALED: Exactly What to Say to Men to Get Them to Listen to You, Love You, and Appreciate You. Click Here Now to Reveal the "Secret Code"
- “Would you be trying to sleep if you were lying next to me?” –Followed by a picture of you lying in bed
- “Good night! Just wanted to let you know bed bugs aren’t the only things that bite. ;)”
- “I hope you’ll be dreaming of me all night long…”
- “My bed would feel so much better with you in it.”
- “I’ve got so much energy right now that I can’t sleep…got any advice for how I can get myself tired out?”
- “I wish I had something better than this blanket to warm me up…”
- “You think we’d get any sleep tonight if we were together?”
Want to know what else you can do to give him an almost unbearable desire for you? The Text Chemistry program by Amy North comes packed with all kinds of tips to ensure light those flames of passion in him.
Strike up a late night conversation.
When you’ve had a busy day and no time to talk to him, one option is to strike up a conversation with him right before bed. It doesn’t have to be a long talk – it could be just a quick check-in, so he knows he’s on your mind.
This is another excellent choice for long-distance pairs. Depending on which time zones you’re in, the time right before bed is probably perfect for an uninterrupted conversation.
- Ask him how his day went or how he’s feeling.
- Send him a message he won’t be able to resist: “You’ll never believe what I saw today!”
- Share a meme or joke that reminds you of him.
Read Also: 20 Things to Text a Guy at Night
Don’t send him anything at all.
If you’re practically biting your nails with anxiety over what to send him, there’s an extra easy (and also risky) choice: don’t text him anything at all right before bed.
This could work especially well if you think he’ll do the texting first. You’ll be able to follow his lead once he reaches out to you.
But – and this is a big but – you also risk him simply not texting you at all. He may assume you’re not interested in him and that he shouldn’t bother you.
Further Reading: What to Text a Guy to Catch His Attention (Without Seeming Clingy)
How to Respond to His Good Night Texts
Say he texts you a good night message or something before you can even think to send him one of your own.
First of all, congratulations are in order! He’s clearly thinking about you and cares enough about you that he wants reach out to you before he sleeps.
So what now?
Well, the answer isn’t so simple. You’ll need to respond to him in a way that fits with your goals and his tone.
We’ve got some categories below based on the nature of whatever it was he sent you.
If he sent you something cute…
Did he send you something that’s got you feeling warm and fuzzy? Are you sitting there, smiling at your phone and reading it over and over again?
That’s wonderful! You have a clear picture of where his mind’s at, and it’s somewhere romantic and sweet.
It’s the perfect time for you to respond in kind if the feeling is mutual. He’ll know his efforts are appreciated when you reply with something cute, too.
- “I hope your dreams tonight are as sweet as you.”
- “Aw! I love how adorable you are…”
- “You’re so sweet, I might need to brush my teeth again.”
For the cool and collected guy…
It’s entirely possible your Romeo didn’t get the memo and sent you a text that’s a little…underwhelming.
Or, if he sent you something especially basic like just a “good night,” you might not be able to read into the tone at all. At the beginning of a relationship, this can be enough to make you stress out, especially before bed.
First off: no need to worry. Keep in mind that he still thought of you right before bed.
Then factor in how long you’ve known him.
When you’ve just started talking, it’s entirely reasonable to send something basic. He might not know what else to say to you yet.
On the other hand, if you’ve been on a few dates already or you’ve been talking for some time now, this can be really disappointing. Don’t be too critical, though – send him a playful text teasing him about his message.
- “I know you can do better than that. :p”
- “Is that all you’ve got?” (Any emojis used are key here, as the wrong one could lead him down the wrong route. Sending a sexy emoji could make him think he needs to sext you.)
- “You, too.” (Keeps it calm and cool, if that’s what you’re going for.)
- Respond in kind with a simple “good night.”
When he’s being naughty…
Maybe he sent you something that’s really making you blush. What then?
Well, the first step is deciding if you’re comfortable with that. Think about whether or not you’re ready to take the relationship in a sexual direction.
If you are, great! Respond to him accordingly with a spicy text to get his pulse racing, like a sexy selfie.
Not in the mood? That’s no problem, either – let him know by responding with something tamer, so he gets the clue.
- A sexy selfie of you.
- “You’ll definitely be in my dreams tonight…”
- “Wow…I think it’s getting too hot over here for my clothes. I may need to sleep without them. ;)”
- “Why don’t you send me a picture and show me what you’re talking about?”
- “I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep now with my heart racing so fast…”
- “Now you’ve got me wondering if you taste as good as you look.” (A great response to a picture, if he sent you one.)
- “Good night to you, too. Talk to you tomorrow!” (If you’re trying to tone down the sexiness, this sends the message gently.)
- “Good night! I’m a little tired now, but maybe we can pick this up some other time?”
And If You Need Additional Inspiration…
Related Article: What to Text a Guy After He Cancels a Date (To Make Him Regret It)
Hopefully, we were able to inspire you with your good night texts.
If not, though, we’ve got no hard feelings. Sometimes you just need a boost.
We’ll tell you that our boost of choice is the Text Chemistry program by Amy North. She has tons of amazing ideas that are designed with the psychological aspect in mind, so he won’t be able to resist you.
Table of Contents