If you’re looking for the way to keep talking to a guy without coming across as needy, then sending him something playful is your best bet.
Aside from helping ensure you’ve got the perfect tone, though, playfulness makes texting him even more fun. Even if you don’t like texting much or he’s not a fan of it himself, you’ll both love getting fun, playful messages.
But writing a playful text is, well, easier said than done. We don’t know about you, but we’ve definitely spent our fair share of time drafting and deleting texts as we struggled to figure out what to say.
To help inspire you, we’ve created this list of playful things to text a guy.
Let’s start by setting some basic rules, though.
Follow These Texting Rules
No texting him more than once or twice in a row.
How would you feel if you picked up your phone, only to find that this person you hardly knew had texted you ten times in a row while you were busy?
We’re willing to bet your answer wasn’t anything positive. More likely than not, you’d feel exasperated, creeped out, annoyed, or turned off by the person who texted you so much.
This kind of behavior occurs when we’re excited to be talking to someone, and they’re not answering right away. We start to think that if we send them another text, they’ll notice us and reply.
As you can see, though, the problem with that is it just makes you seem annoying or creepy.
If you’ve been talking to him and he’s not answering, try checking out our guide on what to text when a guy doesn’t reply for our advice.
Keep your tone light.
We’ve all met that person who’s always negative. No matter what the conversation is about, they seem to excel at finding a way to bring the mood down.
In time, we start doing whatever we can to avoid these types of people. The same thing happens if you allow these negative tones to creep into your text messages.
Bad days happen. It’s okay to be bummed out for any reason or no reason at all – feelings aren’t exactly known for being controllable.
But at least in the early stages of dating, you should try and keep your tone as light and positive as possible so you don’t dump this negativity on him. If you’re feeling too upset to do this, you may need to put down your phone for a bit and pamper yourself before texting him again.
Related Article: What to Text When a Guy Pulls Away (Without Seeming Clingy)
Don’t text him too often.
If you like something or someone, you want more of it most of the time, right?
Regardless of how much you like him, though, try to resist the urge to constantly text him. Take some time here and there to step away from the conversation.
Use that time to focus on yourself. Go out with friends, read a book, go outside, do whatever makes you happy.
Why should you do this? Because not always answering him instantly or not talking to him at all hours of the day tells him you’ve got a life.
As an extra benefit, taking time for yourself lets you relax while saving some conversational topics for when you see him next. Text too much, and you might end up having nothing else to say when you actually hang out again.
Playful Things to Text a Guy
Funny and Playful Texts
Want to know how to pull him in and make him smile or laugh at the same time? You probably already know the answer: your sense of humor.
We naturally love when someone can get us laughing. It makes the time fly by, and turns any date from boring to lively.
Men aren’t immune to a good sense of humor, either. In fact, do some digging online, and you’ll see that many of them put humor at the top of their lists for what they’re looking for in a girlfriend.
You can use your texts to show him that you’ve got that box checked. Plus, humor just effortlessly adds a layer of playfulness to any text, so using yours is like putting that coveted playful tone on easy mode.
- “What kind of crazy story should we make up to tell our families about how we met?”
- “I wanted to text you something funny, but I guess my wit is out for the day. Check back with me tomorrow.”
- “Just pretend this is the funniest joke you’ve ever seen.”
- An oldie but a goodie: “How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!”
- Twisting the old into something new: “How much does a polar bear weigh? Anywhere from 330 – 900 pounds. Bet you weren’t expecting that, huh?”
- Send him a meme that made you laugh and see if it does the same for him.
- Find the cheesiest pickup line you can and send it to him.
- “Have I ever told you that I’ve always got a pun in the oven?”
- Find a corny dad joke to send to him.
- “Feeling thirsty? How about a glass of hot me?”
- “Now that I’ve got you in my life, I’ll have to figure out what my other two wishes will be…”
- “You should sign up for a marathon, because you’ve been running through my head all day.”
- “Want to go on a date with me soon? Your options are: yes or heck yes.”
- “I’m trying to write a cheesy poem about you. What should I rhyme your name with?”
- “I think I’m going to have to draw an X on you. You use X to mark where the gold is, right?”
Recommended Article: What to Text Your Ex-Boyfriend When You Miss Him
Flirty and Playful Texts
Making a text flirty takes it up a notch from just being funny, although flirty and funny often go hand in hand.
Rather than just making him laugh, you’re flashing your interest at him. You’re showing him a bright and catchy sign that you’re more than a friend, and unless he’s completely oblivious, he’ll pick up on that.
At the same time, being flirty lends itself very well to playfulness. Combining these two qualities lets you express your feelings for him without coming across as desperate.
- “I overheard some people talking about the handsome men in the world, but their list was wrong. It was missing you.”
- “I have the feeling your chest would make a better pillow than the pillows I have at home.”
- “Want me to give you a list of my favorite breakfast foods, so you can have breakfast ready for me the next time I stay over?”
- “Every time I see you, I drop something: my jaw.”
- “Your smile is so bright, I think I’m going to need to start wearing sunglasses around you.”
- “I think I’m going to need to have some kind of surgery to get you out of my head.”
- “You’re so hot, I’m surprised I don’t get a tan from being near you.”
- “My doctor said I need to cut back on sweets, but I told him I wasn’t willing to stay away from you. ;)”
- “I bet I can beat you in a game of *his favorite video game.* Loser buys the next dinner. Deal?”
- “I got some new flavored chapstick. Want to come over and taste it?”
- “If you’ve got the Netflix, I’ll bring the cuddles. And maybe some snacks.”
- “You. Me. Dinner. How about tonight?”
- “You’re my favorite snack, and I’m definitely feeling hungry.”
- “Is it normal for my heart to race so much, or is it just you?”
- “I’m going to need a net to do something about all these butterflies you put in my stomach…”
When you’re in search of a little more guidance, relationship coach and expert Amy North lays out the best texting tips out there in her Text Chemistry course. She has years of experience that makes it possible for her to explain exactly what you need to do to keep a man chasing you with texts that tap into his basic psychology.
Sexy and Playful Texts
Further Reading: What to Text a Guy to Get Him to Respond (Tried and True Methods)
If going for flirty is a step above being funny, then sexy is a much higher target. Writing something both sexy and playful is like dialing the heat in your relationship from 0 to 10 in one text, and he’ll definitely find himself sweating (in a good way, we promise).
This sends him the unforgettable message that you want him, and that you won’t be pushed to the sidelines. The drawback to jumping right to or only sticking with sexy, though, is that you’re also sending him a more subtle message: you don’t care for anything else except the physical side of things.
Many guys out there would be completely okay with it if all you wanted was his body. However, if you’re looking to build a more solid and long-term relationship, you’ll want to mix in other moods along with the sexiness.
- “You know, I don’t think I’d be so well-rested if you’d been here with me last night.”
- “Good night and sleep tight. Remember: bed bugs aren’t the only things that bite. ;)”
- Send him a sexy selfie followed by this: “Yes, I do taste as good as I look.”
- “How about we save some water and shower together sometime?”
- “I need a reminder of what a sexy man looks like. Care to send me a picture?”
- “What you did to me last night drove me wild. I can’t wait for part two.”
- “How about you strip down and let me give you a massage next time? My hands can work wonders. ;)”
- “I had the wildest dream about you last night. I’d love to act it out with you soon.”
- “I think I need to get some more vitamin D...On a completely unrelated note: what are you up to this weekend?”
- “I can’t tell if it’s warm outside, or it’s just thinking about you that’s got me feeling hot.”
- “I think we need to talk…in bed. No clothes. Actually, maybe no talking, either.”
- “I can’t stop thinking about what you did to me the other night. I want an encore.”
- “No shoes, no shirt – but I’ll give you plenty of service. ;)”
- “This text is a coupon for a makeout session from yours truly, to be redeemed at any time…”
- Ask him to play a game of dirty truth or dare with you by text.
Need some inspiration for your game of truth or dare? Take a look at our list of dirty things to dare a guy over text.
Texts are So Important – Make Yours Count
Related Article: How to Show a Guy You Like Him Over Text
Pretty much everyone has a smartphone these days. Because of that, texting has become massively important to how we carry out all kinds of relationships, from platonic to familial to romantic.
When you’re not with your man, you’re going to be texting him. A lot.
You’ll need to make sure your texts really count in order to catch his heart. If you have doubts about your texting skills, try checking out the Text Chemistry program.
You can think of it as a sort of library of texts to tap into when your inspiration is running dry. It’s full of texts and advice you can use to get any man drooling over you.