It happens once a year: your ex-boyfriend’s birthday rolls around. If you’re friends on social media, your feeds will be filled with birthday wishes to him.
You might find yourself drowning in memories of birthdays you spent together. The longer you dated and the more recently you broke up, the harder it will be to avoid these memories.
While we don’t always recommend texting your ex-boyfriend on his birthday, you might be unable to resist doing so. We want to make sure you do it in a way that won’t leave you filled with regret. That’s why we’ve created this list of birthday texts for your ex-boyfriend.
Read Also: How to Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back Fast
Should You Text Your Ex-BoyFriend on His Birthday?
We’ve discussed the wisdom of texting your ex-boyfriend in many of our previous posts. We’ll take a quick look at the question of whether you should text him again, just in case.
Before you text him, the first thing you should ask yourself is, should you even text your ex-boyfriend on his birthday?
Our initial recommendation is to resist the urge to text him. If you’ve just broken up, the breakup was bad, or he’s with another girl, you texting him won’t do anything other than force both of you to think about each other on a day he should be enjoying. There’s no point in causing pain for both of you.
But there are some circumstances when texting your ex could be warranted. For instance, if you’re still truly friends who regularly interact with each other easily, there’s no reason why you can’t text him on his birthday. If you still both have feelings for each other and are considering getting together again, that’s also another good reason to send him a birthday text.
Figuring out what to text an ex-boyfriend can be so difficult. It’s natural to look for all the resources you can find to prepare yourself. If you feel like you need more detailed advice, consider trying out relationship coach Amy North’s Text Chemistry Course. It’s filled with all kinds of texts you can copy and send to your ex-boyfriend for a variety of situations.
Additional Resource: Why is My Ex-Boyfriend Always on My Mind?
15+ Birthday Texts for Your Ex-Boyfriend
We’ve divided the 15+ birthday texts we created into different categories. You can choose the ones you like most based on what kind of situation you’re in.
Here are the categories:
- Casual birthday texts
- Friendly birthday texts
- Romantic birthday texts
Casual Birthday Texts for When You’re Not Close
These casual birthday texts are best used when your current relationship with your ex-boyfriend is neutral. In other words, use some of these options when you’re not necessarily on good or bad terms – they’re designed to be basic and unoffensive.
- Happy birthday, *his name.* I hope you have a great day!
- Happy birthday! *insert smiling or birthday emoji here*
- Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I hope you’re doing well!
- Simply send him a basic birthday-related gif or picture.
Further Reading: What To Talk About with Your Ex-Boyfriend Over Text
Friendly Birthday Texts to Send When You’re On Good Terms
Would you say that you and your ex-boyfriend are still friends? Can you talk and hang out regularly without any hard or negative feelings?
If you can honestly answer yes to both those questions, then these texts are the ones you should send. They convey a little warmth and friendliness without being overly flirtatious.
- Hey, happy birthday! Got any fun plans today?
- Best wishes for you today. Have a great birthday!
- I hope you’re celebrating your birthday the way you want to! Did you go to *his favorite restaurant/bar/coffee shop* today?
- I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! Did you get any good presents?
- Send him a birthday-related meme that you know he’d like.
Side Note: Check out our ultimate guide on texting guys.
Romantic Birthday Texts to Send to Pique His Interest
What if you still have romantic feelings for your ex, and you strongly suspect he feels the same? In that case, you’ll want to use text messages that encourage those feelings.
Use any of the following text messages if you’re still on good terms with your ex and you’re working on getting back together:
- Happy birthday, *his name.* How would you feel about going out soon? Drinks are on me.
- I can’t get you out of my head today. If it were my birthday, I know what I’d be wishing for.
- If you need anyone to help you celebrate your birthday, let me know…
- Send him a seductive selfie – if you can be sure he’ll be receptive to it. (This isn’t for the faint of heart!)
- Are you both gamers? Ask him to play something online with you when he’s available.
- Happy birthday! Do you have any birthday wishes I can grant for you?
- I know it’s your birthday, but is there any chance you’d be willing to share some cake?
At the end of the day, don’t forget that your heart is a precious thing. Don’t squander it on men who aren’t worth your time – including ex-boyfriends.
However, if you’re still in love with your ex, and you’re on great terms, you certainly can and may text him on his birthday. Feel free to take any of our text templates to send to him.
Need more help? One of our favorite resources is this Text Chemistry program. It was written by a real relationship coach named Amy North, and it’s packed with useful tips and tricks you can use to get any man interested…including your ex.